Speech Theories

   The Eight Values of Free Expression




 Today I was tasked with looking into what is known as the "Eight Values of Free Expression."  In the U.S constitution and Bill of Rights you as a U.S citizen are granted the freedom of speech, press, and assembly. Though all of our amendments are important to shaping this country, I believe that the first amendment is the most crucial. When reading the different values of free expression I learned that there is no one way for people to interrupt their freedom of speech. 

The Value that first struck my eye and immediately made me want to know more would be Individual Self-Fulfillment.  The brief summary I got for it explained that C. Edwin Baker interrupts Free speech as a way for a citizen to find liberation and individuality. As a person who values individual identities, I knew that this would be one that I will connect with.  The Free Speech Center and University of Minnesota Law- Human Liberty and Freedom of Speech Book Review gave me a great look into who Baker was and more on his book. 




  C. Edwin Baker was a law professor who created this liberty model as an alternative to the John Stuart Mill's model; marketplace of ideas. The marketplace of ideas is one of the eight values of free expression but one I didn't resonate with, I agree with Baker's belief that the first amendment is not in place solely for political speech but as well as for "self- realization." From what I could tell Baker believed in the individual's voice and that the first amendment is there to prevent government's censorship. 



Baker was clearly not a fan of the Marketplace of Ideas so I had no choice but to look into it myself. I once again used Free Speech Center to help dive deeper than my original given summary of this model. The Marketplace of Ideas was first thought up by John Stuart Mill, he uses the competitive nature of the economic market system and determining "winners" or "losers" as the analogy for the marketplace of ideas. He also is against censorship from the government, similarly to Baker, but what differs the most in my opinion, is that Mill doesn't believe that the individual knows the truth. The Supreme Court has been using the marketplace of ideas as a theory of free expression since 1919 with the Abrams v. United States cases and is considered to be one of the most pervasive metaphors. 

At first glance I did not think much of the Marketplace of Ideas, looking into the concepts and history of this model it gave me a better understanding. It is still not my favorites interpretation of the first amendment,  its use against censorship is great and a powerful resource. The belief that majority will know the truth more than an individual is a concept I find hard to get behind. To me this mindset leads to a lot of bandwagons and "follow the leader." The individual is more than capable to know the truth when given the proper details and information. 




Speaking of knowing the truth lets discuss our last expression, Check on Governmental Power thought up by Vince Blasi. This one caught my eye because of its discussion of calling out our government and knowing the truth about it. This expression is focused on the use of our freedom of press and how it is a powerful asset to citizens. Being informed about the candidates in public offices is extremely important in a demarcated system. U.S citizens are able to inform one another of the abuses of power and use that information to influence their votes. 

I wish I was able to find more information on Check on Governmental Power because its something I feel passionate about. Citizens should be able to discuss and share what they know about our representatives, President, and so forth. I strongly believe that one person can make a difference and them being able to come up with their own thoughts and opinions are key to a healthy society and government. 




Comments

Popular Posts